August 07, 2013

PISTACHIO + APRICOT BREAD

assorted nut bread

So the past few days I've been dreaming about different combinations of flavours. I've been wanting to bake a pain la campagne with my own starter with lots of apricots, chocolate chips and nuts.
Then I realised I didn't have rye flour for the starter or chocolate chip..bummer.  

So this morning I woke up early and decided I would just bake an apricot and pistachio bread (actually I have an assortment of nuts in this bread)

Pistachio and apricot bread

Pistachio and apricot bread
This was originally a recipe for figs and almond bread, but i adapted it to my tastes.I added close to 2 cups of dried fruit.and a cup of almond and pistachio mix.


Pistachio and apricot bread

Pistachio and apricot bread
imperfect boule


Pistachio and apricot bread



Pistachio and apricot bread




Pistachio and apricot bread



The next time i bake this bread, I would amp up the amount of orange peel and pistachios. 

The moment it is out of the oven, brush melted butter all over the bread. It gives off a lovely smell, with orange peel and butter. Lovely. Even now, 5 hours after baking this bread, it smells like i baked pretzels from Auntie Annes. I could just smell it all day.

Making this bread, I knew it was going to be amazing.You can't go wrong with a bread like this. Throw in whatever nuts you like! The natural sweetness of the fruit makes it perfect to pair with cheese or even salted butter.

As you can see from the last picture, i ate half of it only to realise I haven't taken a picture of it with some butter(yes it still hot, thats why its melty teehee)

You have my word, If you love bread with nuts and dried fruit...or even if you're on the fence about nuts or fruit in bread, Make this bread! It might just change your mind.

For me this recipe is definitely a keeper.


pistachio and apricot bread
Makes: two 8" round loaves
Cook time :25 minutes

Ingredients
  • 1 cup apricots (or mixed fruit of choice)
  • 1 cup of pistachios and almonds
  • 1 3/4 cup water
  • 2 1/4 tsp active dry yeast
  • 3 cups bread flour
  • 1 cup whole wheat flour
  • 1 tablespoon sugar
  • olive oil for bowl
  • 2 tablespoons melted butter
  • 2 9' round pizza pans
  1. Pour water into the mixer bowl and whisk. Let rest then mix for 30 seconds.
  2. combine bread flour, whole wheat flour and sugar ensuring flour is combined and not sticking to the side of the bowl.
  3. Attach dough hook to mixer and on lowest speed, mix for 2 minutes or so. Then let rest for 15 minutes.
  4. Increase mixer speed to medium for the next 4 minutes and sprinkle in salt. Mix until smooth and elastic.
  5. Add in Nuts and dried fruit to distribute then transfer into an oiled bowl and let rise for 30 minutes.
  6. After 30 minutes, divide the dough gently into two parts and shape into boule. Place on parchment paper on pizza pans.
  7. Let the bread rise for another 30 minutes. Preheat the oven to 450F or 230C.
  8. Once the loaves are proofed, lightly press down on bread to flatten it to 1 inch thick.
  9. Using a sharp blade, make an X mark on the top. spray loaves with warm water.
  10. Place pan in oven then wait 5 minutes. Take it out and spray again with warm water (to develop a nice crust. Place back in oven and reduce temperature to 205C or 400F. Bake for 20-30 minutes.

3 comments:

  1. Oh yum! That last photo with the melty butter looks to die for (I'm totally drooling in my seat). I love fruity/nutty breads (not the biggest white bread fan). I have this awesome recipe for a similar pain de campagne called Sweet Bread from Valtellina -- with figs, hazelnuts and anise seeds up on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also no way you're pug obsessed?! Me too! My email address was pug897 for the longest time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your old email address is too cute! haha I'm a proud owner of a fat pug named Bob. Probably the best entertainment you can have. That sweet bread looks amazing! I confess I wasn't much of a fruity bread fan until today! I definitely will try it out.

    ReplyDelete