Muffins are delicious. Its pretty difficult not to feel luxurious when you have a warm muffin and coffee in the morning. However, mornings are pretty difficult for me, getting up early is even more of a pain. But having good breakfast is pretty much motivation to wake up early(oh the gluttony).As much as I would love to have the banana and chocolate muffin from a certain coffee chain for breakfast, I can't and I shouldn't because it is laden with sugar and goodness knows what. So I came up with my healthy version of the chocolate banana muffin.Its got all the qualities of a healthy muffin.I threw in walnuts,hearty rye flour and a topping of sunflower seeds, chia and oats.
I must add that the use of rye does add as a nice touch. They are hearty and it fills you up. Bob the pug also wishes you readers to savour the muffins because she didn't get any.
Did I also mention how you only need two bowls for this recipe?
Cocoa banana nut muffins
Yields : 12 muffins
Time : 20 minutes
- 1 cup rye flour (wholemeal will work)
- 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 cup walnuts (optional)
- 5 tbsp cocoa powder
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 bananas smashed
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350F / 180C for normal ovens. For convection ovens 160C.
- Whisk all the dry ingredients until incorporated. (flour, baking soda, baking powder, walnuts, cocoa powder, brown sugar)
- In a separate bowl, combine wet ingredients.(eggs, banana, milk, oil and vanilla extract)
- Mix both dry ingredient and wet ingredients until barely combined.Do not overwork mixture.
- Pour mixture into muffin cups until 3/4 full.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes or until skewer comes out clean.